Monday, January 22, 2007

Storm Watch

Last night, I was alerted by a radio bulletin that a tropical depression was about 350 miles northwest of American Samoa. After the Norah Ark rain we had all weekend and this being hurricane season, it made sense. I was not too worried about Tropical Depression 08F - I am use to rain by now. However, NOAA recently sent out a warning that 08F has been nearly stationary for the last six hours. This is not good cause a stationary storm can quickly build up strength. According to NOAA the potential for 08F to develop into a tropical cyclone in the next 24 hours is high. A lot can happen in 24 hours, so I am still not too worried, it might go away, or go somewhere else - who knows. It is interesting to view the satellite imagery.The red + is the storm, the little green outline to the right of it is the Samaon island chain. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Not sure if I like all that red. Here is a close up. Can you find me near the line down the middle?But I am most concerned by this graphic from the Navy It is a little small, but you can see our island paradise in the center and a giant "C" coming right at us. I assume the C is for Cyclone and not cookie. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: