Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Moso'oi Regatta

Looking for some type of physical activity beyond running in tropical heat, I stumbled upon Paddling. Actually, stumbled might not the best word. My friend Mary has been doing it for a couple of months, and really enjoyed it, so I thought I would give it a try.
What is Paddling? Beyond a punishment for rowdy English pupils, it is basically a type of kayaking. We do it in six person outrigger canoes. It is a lot of fun, but a lot work. You work muscles that you normally never use, and the key is all about timing - you need to be in sync with the other paddlers. Easier said then done. I have only been doing it for about a month - I go twice a week, however, I participated in my first race on Saturday.

The Pago Pago Yacht Club sponsored a race - the Moso'oi Regatta. Don't ask me what Moso'oi means. One of the teams need an extra person. It was the Pacific Horizons team (a local private school). The division was the social team division, which was perfect for me. Sadly, we did not win - but it was a good time had by all.

No comments: